Skip directly to: Main page content

Department of Physics

Financial Aid

  • Most students receive departmental or University financial support of some type. In general, students who continue to make satisfactory progress toward their degree are usually financially supported through some combination of teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships.
  • University Fellowships are awarded by Graduate Studies. The deadline for Fellowship application is January 15.
  • All graduate applicants who are US citizens, permanent residents or immigrants are required to file a "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) by March 1st. The form is available online at It is used to determine financial need only, a component of the eligibility criteria for many fellowships, and for all forms of financial aid.
  • Nine-month teaching assistantships are available each year in the department and require up to a maximum of 20 hours of work per week.
  • Continuing students engaged in research may hold research assistantships.
  • Other UC fellowships for entering students: Nanoparticles in the Environment, Agriculture, and Technology (NEAT) Integrative Graduate Research Training and Education (IGERT) can be a way for interested students to be supported in pursuing interdisciplinary research on nanscale materials science.
  • California residents pay fees. Nonresidents must pay both tuition and fees although the department is usually able to subsidize these expenses for students making good academic progress. The current fees and tuition may be found in the General Catalog.
  • Single rooms for unmarried graduate students are available in Lysle Leach Hall. For married and single-parent students, furnished and unfurnished one- and two-bedroom apartments are available on campus at reasonable prices. Most students live in the city of Davis within easy bicycling distance of the campus.
    On-campus housing:
    Community housing: